For 100 years, Merriam Christian Church has been a vital part of the religious and social fabric of Johnson County, Kansas.
Merriam Christian Church was organized on February 16, 1913 as a Community Sunday School and met in a former schoolhouse which still stands one block north on Merriam Drive. Fifty-seven people joined the church in the beginning. Together they organized a Ladies Aid Society, a Boy's Athletic Club, a Girls Social Club, and a weekly Social and Literary Club.
The present site of the church building was purchased in 1914, and the Fellowship Hall was constructed with a quonset-hut roof. The facility was used by local schools for programs and Merriam High School played their basketball games here. In the 1920's, silent films were shown on the weekends in the church to help raise additional funds.
The sanctuary was constructed in 1926. Many of the members gave not only their monetary resources to help build, but pitched in with skills like brick laying and carpentry. The Education wing was added in 1959 with six classrooms, a youth room, a library, office space, and a chapel. Organizations like the Johnson County Library and Johnson County Community College both began by using space in Merriam Christian Church. The Johnson County Christmas Bureau continue to use space from the church to this day to reach out to thousands of Johnson County families.
Merriam Christian Church has been a bedrock presence of faith and grace in Merriam, Kansas for 100 years and we look forward to continuing to be "Merriam's church home" for another 100 years.